“Twisted” Fireworks Rockets

“Twisted” Fireworks Rockets

Topics: How to Make Fireworks

Okay, this is way cool!

Imagine lighting one of these of at your Fourth of July family gathering.

Easy to put together too. You just need some wire, a couple of rocket drivers and two rocket sticks.

If you’re even half as good as me, you can knock one out in 5-10 minutes.

…Especially if you already have the rocket motors on hand.

Speaking of rocket motors, here’s a back door link to get Skylighter’s 3/4" End Burner Black Powder Rocket Kit. This is what you’ll want to use to make a Caduceus rocket.

CLICK HERE TO GET DISCOUNTED TOOLS & SUPPLIES TO MAKE 25 CADUCEUS ROCKETS

How to Make Your Own Caduceus Rocket

Here’s how you can make them quick and easy.

Start with one of Skylighter’s (#TU1062, #TU1068) 3/4-inch ID x 7.5-inch long rocket tubes. Cut it in half, giving you two 3.75-Inch long tubes.

Place one of the 3.75-inch tubes on your 1 pound, end-burner rocket tooling (Skylighter #TL1270). If you don’t have a set of Skylighter’s end burner tooling, don’t worry, we’ll show you where to get a discounted tool set at the end of this post.

Ram an increment of clay, then several increments of ball-milled black powder until the tube is filled within 1/2 inch of the end of the tube. Finish off this rocket with a final increment of clay to form the top bulkhead.

You’ll need 2 of these short rocket engines (or “drivers”) for each Caduceus Rocket you make. And trust me, you will not be satisfied with just one–they are too much fun!

In the video, you can see that thin steel wire is used to connect two sticks to make a small “t” shape. The leg of the “t” serves as the tail for guidance. The cross of the “t” serves as a platform for attaching the drivers.

Lay the drivers out as shown in the video above then secure them solidly using wire as shown.

Fuse the drivers by running a length of GN1100 Fast Yellow Visco fuse (not included in the kit) from one driver’s nozzle to the other and securing each with tape. Finally add a length of standard visco to the center of the fast fuse. This will provide time to retreat to a safe location.

As we mentioned before, you’ll need end burner rockets for this project. The Skylighter 3/4" End Burner Black Powder Rocket Kit comes with the tools, fuse, tubes and chemicals you’ll need to make 50 drivers (but does not include Fast Yellow Visco, #GN1100–be sure to add some of that). This kit saves you 20% off the price of buying everything individually.

CLICK HERE TO GET DISCOUNTED TOOLS & SUPPLIES TO MAKE 25 CADUCEUS ROCKETS

Finally, if you have questions or comments on these crazy, spinning fireworks, please post them in the Comments section below. And if you make these, show us! Tell us all about your variation of Caduceus rockets, and include a link to your YouTube or other video.

1. Keith says:

Okay, now you’ve done it. I started making fireworks decades ago when I was about 6 or 7. I would put paper cap rolls and match heads in a paper thin tube, attach a stick to it and light it. It would flare up and pop pop pop. I got Weingart’s book, got chemicals from Westech, and made more sophisticated devices when I was older, then got out of it. Your video of the Caduceus rocket has sucked me back in!

A future customer.

2. Les says:

A longer charcoal tail would probably show the “twisting about eachother” thing better… I think there was one posted on Passfire a while back.
    Very cool… seems like a lot of angle on the drivers, !!?? Perhaps it’s because the other ones I’ve seen use coreburners?

• Its a mystery to me really, ive tried many different angle configurations, they seem to perform unique every time, here is another one, this got no Ti tail in it, the angles are down to 45 and the rise is much slower, i think its the nicest of these three posted here

• John J Vico says:

Great Rockets!
      ??? What is nozzle hole diameter for each one?
      First video has a burn time of about 5 secs.Second video(with the great music) has a burn time of approximately 22 secs and nice headings. What did you do differently?

• Ok i need to tell you the clip you see is filmed with two different cameras, one in normal 30 FPS and the second camera is set at 210 frames pr second, so burntime is still the same only in real slow motion

And nozzle diameter on all my caduceus rockets are 4mm

3. Here is a link to another Caduceus rocket i made, this has 2 louder reports going of within haf a second

4. Michael says:

Very Nice Video Brightned My day
    Whats the song Harry???

• I´ll follow up on that question, its Tony Carey´s one mans band called Planet P Project, song is from the album “Pink World” from (1984) the song is called “A Letter From The Shelter”

5. James Brumley says:

That’s an amazing video & it’s got my mind turning wheels in a a whole ‘nuther direction! Also, what is the music that’s playing in the background? The intro to that was fantastic!

6. Hey

I see you use my caduceus rocket on your site, i can answer all questions about this build, the song is from an albumcalled Planet P project “A letter from the shelter”

7. Bert says:

Oh, and since it’s WAY out of copyright- check old Casimir out:

8. hobie says:

I wonder how many people know of Planet P . . .very cool, going to have to listen to the Plane P project today

and brilliant video – kuddos

lovely entertainment for my morning wakeup

Hobie

• Thanks mate, its too bad that not many knows of Tony Carey´s work, he played some time in the good old Rainbow from the 70´s and then he started his one man band Planet P project, he is still at large;)

9. Bert says:

Agreed. Cool, been looking at the pictures of these in Casimir Siemienowicz “The great art of artillery” for years. Only seen this at PGI convention once I can recall-

And WHAT was the song at the end?!

10. Rich says:

Totally awesome, These are on my to make list for sure,Thanks.

11. joe says:

Wish I could do that too!

12. Great work harry! I like them. I also enjoy innovation in this hobby. Gotta try one of these.

pw

• Harry Gilliam says:

Hey, Paul, Yer welcome, but all the credit goes to skyisthelimitinc. He made ‘em, and shared the excellent video of them on Youtube for the rest of us to enjoy.

Harry

13. jeff evans says:

I luv it that looks like a buddy of mines “CADUCEUS” rocket,well done mate keep it up.Good job Erick!!

14. Mark Swain says:

Oh and very cool rocket!

15. Mark Swain says:

What song is that in the video